[rt-users] A ticket's life through multiple queues

Chris O'Kelly Chris.okelly at minecorp.com.au
Tue Sep 18 09:50:49 EDT 2012

Hi,

I once worked at a managed helpdesk company as a support agent. At the time we used an in house solution, but it was very similar to rt in it's queue, owner, requestor setup (the only difference being that there could only be one requestor in this solution, but that doesn't really pertain here). The way we did it was that we would have the ticket from a user in the helpdesk queue, do our bit of work on it, and if we needed work from another department done we would create a child ticket in, say, the Sydney systems  queue, which they would resolve once finished with (or pass ownership of back to the agent requesting extra details, who would pass it back with the details, etc etc). In out setup the owner of a ticket is emailed when a child ticket is solved, I'm sure this could be done in rt with scrips. Once they see the child ticket resolved they contact the user and resolve the original ticket. That way you have stats on what work everyone has done, as well as less worry about which queue to resolve in.

Hope this helps

On 18/09/2012, at 23:19, "Giuseppe Sollazzo" <gsollazz at sgul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have a little "philosophical" doubt about RT, so to say.
>
> In my institutions, we have several groups, most of which have their own
> queue set. They mostly work on their queues, but occasionally need to
> transfer the ticket under another queue. In some cases, a ticket need to
> pass through 3-4 queues.
>
> My questions...
>
> Is this a common scenario?
> How do other institutions deal with this kind of issues?
> For statistical purposes, do you assign the ticket to a given queue
> before closing it?
>
> Thanks,
> Giuseppe
>
> - --