[rt-users] Multiple Instances or Another Queue

Tom Robinson tom.robinson at motec.com.au
Fri Sep 21 01:21:54 EDT 2012

Hi,

I've been using RT since 3.8.8 for our internal IT requests. It works well but I've never really
done much with Queues. I created one extra one to segregate some specific issues but that's it.
Also, I'm the only one who's had to use it in anger until now. My understanding of RT and
specifically Queue separation (e.g. by department, etc.) is very limited. As an aside, I recently
upgraded to RT 4.0.7 and implemented Authen-ExternalAuth which works great.

We now have a requirement to use RT for external support for a new department within our
organisation. Originally they requested a new instance of RT to be set up (they wanted a separate
database). I have been looking at several options to do this but I'm not satisfied with any multiple
instance set up configurations. I'm really unsure of the best way to move forward. The options that
I see so far are:

1. Use a new queue for the new department, isolating administration and users for that department to
that queue.
2. Run two instances by following http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/MultipleInstances (requires
hacking the code to make this work on 4.0.7).
3. Run two installations side by side having compiled with different configuration options.

I am curious to know what you all think about these options and what is the recommended way to do
what we want to do.

I can see pros and cons for each of the choices above. A separate instance is so clear cut but the
future upgrades and maintenance issues bother me. Personally I would choose number one but I need
reasons to take back to the new department head so I can explain my choice and convince him it is
the right thing to do. I would also need some pointers on the best way configure that option.

Many thanks,
Tom

--

Tom Robinson