[rt-users] Best way to use RT

Guadagnino Cristiano guadagnino.cristiano at creval.it
Thu Apr 11 11:51:00 EDT 2013

Hi all,
I'm looking for suggestions on the way to use RT in our business.

We started using RT about 6 years ago, and initially we where the only office using it.

About a year later another office wanted to use RT; initially we thought about duplicating the whole installation, but after a while we realized it would have been a big maintenance headache, so instead we added the new users and the new queues on our RT and separated the two offices simply using authorizations.
We do not communicate very much with this other office; when we do, we usually send emails to them from our personal mailbox, so that a new ticket will be created for them.

Now a third office wants to start using RT. We added the new users and the new queues, and separated them using authorizations as we did with the second office. However we work together very much, and we find that communicating via email is a real burden since we both are using RT.

Also it happens quite frequently that we have to work on the same ticket in different stages. For example they take a request from a user, they do the first part, then we need to do another part, and finally they do the last part and close the ticket.

What is the best way to organize the queues and the authorizations to meet our new needs?

- we'd prefer not to work as if we where only one big office
- we'd like to swap tickets easily, but without having to know in advance who in their office will do the next part (and vice versa)
- we have about five queues each; tickets always land in one queue for our office and in one queue for their office, then we sort them into other queues when we start working on them
- I configured the permissions so that we can see their main queue and they can see our main queue
- we'd prefer not to have to coordinate the work at the phone ("hey, take ticket number ###, I just finished working on it")

Any ideas? Experiences to share?
Maybe we could peruse the new workflow feature in RT 4?

Thank you in advance!

Bye
Cris
--