[rt-users] Problem setting up RT database

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Apr 12 18:47:07 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 02:42:30PM -0400, Jessica Reuter wrote:
>    I'm trying to install RT on Linux, and I got all the dependencies to work, used make install
>    to install RT, and changed RT_SiteConfig.pm. But, I can't get the web server set up properly.
>    When I try to set it up by running /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server, I'm told that "RT couldn't connect
>    to the database where tickets are stored" and "Connect failed access denied for user
>    'rt_user'@''localhost' using password YES".
>
>    Then, the program hangs, and I have control-C out of it.
>
>    I changed my root user name and password in RT_SiteConfig.pm and checked my permissions, but I
>    can't figure out what's going on. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

You appear to have skipped over the rest of that message:

    RT couldn't connect to the database where tickets are stored.
    If this is a new installation of RT, you should visit the URL below
    to configure RT and initialize your database.

Look at the end of it, you'll see something like:

    HTTP::Server::PSGI: Accepting connections at http://0:8084/

which you can click on.

Of course, the easier way to get your database set up is simply to
follow the manual portion of 6a in the readme and type
make initialize-database to set up your database.

-kevin