[rt-users] Most efficient way to update custom fields without creating too many transactions

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Aug 30 17:29:51 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 02:09:16PM -0700, Landon Stewart wrote:
>    On 29 August 2013 13:31, Kevin Falcone <[1]falcone at bestpractical.com> wrote:
>
>      Because Custom Fields can hold a LONGBLOB worth of data.
>      Go save a large text CF and look in the database.
>      Saving them as 1000 individual values makes 1000 records in the
>      database, saving them as 1 large record makes 1 record. These are
>      treated differently on update and display.
>
>      If you follow the advice of the wiki article that was linked to and
>      reach around the API, you'll hurt yourself.
>
>      Not recording transactions is orthogonal to the size of the data which
>      can be recorded.
>
>    I'm sorry - I'm pretty sure I'm reading you correctly but I'm unable to add multiple values to
>    a Custom Field without creating multiple ObjectCustomFieldValue records. Maybe it's not

If you have a multiple value custom field, then each value will be an
OCFV.

As I wrote above "Go save a large *text* CF and look in the database"
(added emphasis on text).

It's unclear to me how you think we could store a Custom Field with a
thousand distinct values as anything other than distinct records in
the database?

Think particularly about searching in the context of my question.

RecordTransactions => 0 does what it sounds like, it stops you from
getting 1000 transactions about the updates.

-kevin