[rt-users] trying to calculate time worked per transaction / ticket using SQL

Chris Herrmann chrisherrmann7 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 02:09:15 EST 2013

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. A couple of reasons why I've started this way -
primarily probably familiarity. But also:

- Speed - database access is significantly faster than REST
- I can run queries against a replica of the database, thereby not
interfering with the production system
- It fits better with how we access and aggregate data from other systems
(i.e. SQL is the only common language that they all share)
- We already have several systems pulling data from RT via SQL since 2002
- My SQL skills are significantly better than my (non-existent) Perl skills
so trying to access data as data makes more sense to me - I've been stymied
before by Perl when trying to query using RTs built-in query engine for
example. I don't know but I would guess that REST will also use perl syntax
for querying?

If using REST is it possible to make use of query caches etc? I realise
that "under the hood" the sql engine will still have it's own indexes /
query caches / etc, but curious if REST also has any of this?

Regards,

Chris