[rt-users] Weird right problem

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Feb 4 14:39:19 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 01:07:35PM +0200, Manuel Subredu wrote:
> we have a RT (4.0.8) && RT::IR (latest) instance that's functional and
> running. Our staff can create, reply, comment, etc. But, when we make a
> comment on one Incident and add an external email address in Cc, when
> the user that was included in Cc gives a reply to the email
> (rt-comment at domain) RT gives an error:
>
>  <error>
> [Wed Jan 30 10:59:06 2013] [error]: RT could not load a valid user, and
> RT's configuration does not allow
> for the creation of a new user for this email (manuel.subredu at outside).
>
> You might need to grant 'Everyone' the right 'ReplyToTicket' for the
> queue General. (/opt/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:245)
> [Wed Jan 30 10:59:06 2013] [error]: RT could not load a valid user, and
> RT's configuration does not allow
> for the creation of a new user for your email.
> (/opt/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:245)
> [Wed Jan 30 10:59:06 2013] [error]: Could not record email: Could not
> load a valid user (/opt/rt4/share/html/REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway:75)
> </error>
>
> The weird part is that Everyone has the right to reply to tickets both
> Global and on the General queue. I triple checked :) And to be sure I
> gave Everyone permission to reply to tickets on all queues. Ideeas anyone ?

I'm surprised that rt-comment feeds into an rt-mailgate incant that
says --action correspond rather than --action comment.
Assuming it's actually feeding in to --action comment, then your CC'ed
users need the ability to Comment (if they're full CCs, you can just
grant the CC role Comment, but if they're one-time-ccs then you'll
need to hand out Comment more widely).

You should also check that nothing else is preventing user creation
(are you using RT-Authen-ExternalAuth and disallowing creation of user
accounts for people who aren't in LDAP).

-kevin