[rt-users] Problem with __maps__

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Feb 7 11:06:51 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kevin Falcone" <falcone at bestpractical.com>

> This is a known bug we've been discussing how to fix. There's a lot
> of magic that needs to happen when you change a lifecycle midstream.
> You have to leave transitions in place until you migrate away from the
> old statuses and it's a pain. Unfortunately, on a large queue, any
> sort of magic could run for a long time and time out, etc.

That is a problem that crops up in a bunch of different places of different
sizes and scopes, all the way down to "does $AndroidClient cache status
postings if it can't get them through due to a local connectivity error"
(for Tweetcaster the answer is "yes, visibly"; for Facebook, "maybe,
but you can't tell), and I believe the indicated design pattern there is
"Job Queue".

Is there already something in RTs internals for handling queued jobs?

If not, is this a big enough issue -- and might you gain useful leverage
in the future -- from introducing it?

Cheersr,
-- jra