[rt-users] Leveraging RT for Access Control

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Thu Feb 14 16:20:58 EST 2013

On 02/14/2013 07:55 AM, Kevin Holleran wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I am very new to RT and just getting my feet wet.
>
> Is it possible to define workflows where a ticket is assigned to
> someone, then once they perform an action, have it automatically
> assigned to someone else?
>
> So a ticket comes in for access to system A, it is assigned to the
> business unit manager,  once they perform an action "close" or whatever,
> then it is assigned to the security, then finally the server team to
> grant access.  Essentially I am trying to create an documented process
> for an approval chain.
>
> Is something like this possible or am I better off going a different route?

Completely possible.  The standard way to model an approvals chain is
using RT's approvals system (which relies on scrips).  You create a set
of tickets for each approval necessary, and chain them appropriately,
and the ticket requesting access is rejected if anyone rejects or opened
if everyone approves.  Here's a place to start:
http://bestpractical.com/rt/docs/4.0/customizing/approvals.html