[rt-users] Could someone help a newb evaluating RT with email setup?

Craig Ringer craig at 2ndquadrant.com
Tue Feb 19 17:52:08 EST 2013

Hi

I'm using a similar setup here, and find that it works very well. My
configuration is:

* Addresses are aliases on top-level domain that redirect to same
address name on subdomain
* Subdomain is defined in DNS with a single MX record pointing to the
subdomain name, which has an A record pointing to the RT host
* Postfix configured to use a smarthost with SMTP+TLS and authentication
for outbound mail

The aliases rewrite the destination addresses so I don't have to play
games with telling Postfix that it handles mail for the top level domain
by putting it in `mydestination`. Nor did I have to change postfix's
`origin`; you can set the email sender address in RT, so it's quite fine
for postfix to announce its self as the subdomain while delivering mail
with "From:" headers of the main domain. The user never sees the
subdomain addresses in email.

All I had to do was add:

relayhost = [my.smtp.smarthost]:587
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/maps/relay_password
smtp_sasl_security_options =

to main.cf, create /etc/postfix/maps/relay_password as:

my.smtp.smarthost   smtp-username:smtp-password

and postmap it. Then for each of my queues I just entered the top-level
domain aliases for the correspond and comment addresses, so RT would use
these correctly in outbound mail.

Hope this is useful.

--
Craig Ringer