[rt-users] Redacting details from ticket emails?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 06:28:07 EST 2013

On 28 Feb 2013, at 01:15, Craig Ringer <craig at 2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've noticed a feature we've come to rely on in Eventum, our old support system, that I can't seem to find in RT. It must've come up     for people here so I'm wondering how you handle it.
>
> Sometimes customers send passwords and other details in by email. We don't want those floating around unencrypted in our database history, so we usually redact them from the email or delete the whole email from the ticket history via the web UI.

Admins can use the Shredder functionality to remove transactions which contain the offending password.  There's not facility to redact the message itself, as far as I know, but you can remove the message.

> There doesn't appear to be a facility for doing this in RT's UI.

There is, but it's only accessible to those with the RT SuperUser right; for fairly obvious reasons it's not exposed to ordinary users (or even privileged users).

Shredder also has a command line interface.

Regards,

Tim