[rt-users] Ignoring out of office emails

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 04:53:56 EST 2013

On 15 Jan 2013, at 23:26, Brent Wiese <bwiese at ElementPS.com> wrote:

> I have a powershell script that emails users (using the System.Net.Mail class) and the “From” address is set to our RT system, making it easier for users to get help if needed.
>
> The problem is, people’s out-of-office responses are opening tickets.
>
> I added the “Precendence: bulk” header after checking through the RT lists as it looks like (at least in rt 3.x) it would filter those emails out and not interact with tickets. But it’s not working.

> Is this no longer the case in RT4? Or does it not apply to ticket creation? I can see the Precendence: bulk header being added in the original email.

The problem, as I understand it, is Microsoft Exchange.  It sends out-of-office replies as ordinary messages, and doesn't use any of the established methods which could be used to mark such messages, such as a Return-Path header of <>, or an Auto-reply header, or a bulk precedence header.  It does, however, seem to add its own header:

Out of Office AutoReply:

so you could add something in RT's bounce detection to detect that.

Regards,

Tim