[rt-users] RT4 without local mail server

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Jan 22 13:16:45 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 05:37:26PM +0100, mrbeeye wrote:
>    A) single point of contact - only one e-mail address for helpdesk: help at domain.tld (with web
>    form frontend which is preferred)
>
>    B) data from web form are sent through mail to help at domain.tld
>
>    C) web form is custom web page, it cannot be RT's web UI

These are all fine, although you're not using RT's comments feature
(which wants a second email address like help-comment at domain.tld).

>    D) form has custom field which should be used to route tickets to appropriate queue

You're going to have to write code in RT to do this after ticket
creation, or do it before running rt-mailgate.

>    E) RT should fetch e-mail from SMTP server using IMAPS

There are lots of examples of using fetchmail on the wiki, and you can
always pipe to procmail to invoke rt-mailgate into different Queues.

>    F) RT should send notification and ticket updates using external SMTP/SSL server, sender
>    e-mail address must be help at domain.tld

Use a local MTA (such as postfix or sendmail or exim) in relay-only
mode with a smarthost configured.

While RT has native SMTP support, it has finally been removed from 4.2
and we recommend never using it because it is easy to lose email.  A
real MTA won't lose email.

-kevin