[rt-users] Taking RT offline required for enabling sphinx fulltext 'only'?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Sun Jan 27 12:21:31 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 07:04:11PM +0530, Subin wrote:
>    1. Took the previous RT 3 offline and configured mail redirect.
>    2. Re-compiled mysql-server 5.1 with 'sphinx' storage engine(sphinxse)
>       for enabling fulltext support for RT 4.
>    3. Installed RT 4 and restored the previous database backup. It was
>       successful and the new RT interface was working fine after restoring
>       mail flow. All good.
>
>    However I didn't enable fulltext although I compiled mysql with sphinxse support.
>    I chose it to do another time since I wasn't sure of what all the RT tables to index
>    and was a bit unsure of Sphinx stuff.
>
>    So my question is:
>
>    Q) If I intended to enable fulltext with RT4 later on like as mentioned here:
>
>    [1]http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/docs/4.0/full_text_indexing.html#Creating-and-configuring-the-index1
>       starting from the step "sbin/rt-setup-fulltext-index --dba root --dba-password secret"
>    would I be need to take RT
>       offline like I did for the upgrade?

I would recommend taking the webserver down. That script creates a new
table in your database. You'll need to make the table, add in the
configuration, restart apache, run an initial index, etc. These are all
things best tested in a development environment and then deployed during
a scheduled downtime.

-kevin