[rt-users] Installation help

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Jul 8 10:50:43 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 05:03:22PM +0000, Sobecki, Joseph wrote:
>    I am running Ubuntu Server. I have unzipped the RT package into "/var/www/" directory and try
>    to run
>    sudo /var/www/rt/configure --help
>    &
>    /var/www/rt/configure --help
>
>    Both commands fail (see attached screenshot). I originally tried to upload the files to the
>    /sr/ directory but didn't have permissions and choose to use /var/www/ because it was the one
>    directory (besides /home/) that I had already created permissions for.
>
>    This is my first time trying to do an install of this type and I have had a really hard time.

The rt tarball doesn't unpack into an rt/ directory, it unpacks into
rt-4.0.13 (or whatever the version is).  Also, it doesn't run from the
untarred tarball.

You can see this by looking at ls /var/www
Also, don't run configure from outside the RT tarball directory.

Untar it in your home directory, find the correct directory and start
from there.

-kevin