[rt-users] RT4 - Email Errors generated even when sent 'successfully'

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Jul 11 12:38:10 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 08:57:47AM -0700, scott.dalzell wrote:
> The issue is my RT system is having a good old moan whenever an email is
> sent. it is adding errors onto the RT ticket and the error log, however, all
> the emails are reaching there targets. The users can reply to any emails
> from RT and the replys will be added to the ticket. and the same error
> messages will be added to the log and the ticket
> [Wed Jul 10 15:33:11 2013] [error]:
> <rt-4.0.12-13580-1373470372-461.16282-6-0 at lfm-software.com>:
> `/opt/rt4/etc/msmtp_wrapper -oi -t -ODeliveryMode=b -OErrorMode=m -f
> lfm.test at aveva.com` exited with code 64
> (/opt/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:486)

You're passing sendmail only arguments (As documented in the
configuration file) to msmtp

http://bestpractical.com/rt/docs/latest/RT_Config.html#SendmailArguments

Add in the usual caveat about using a real MTA, but googling msmtp
code 64 will find you documentation on how to turn up msmtp's logging
to debug so you can get a real error.  I suspect that turning off
sendmail brand sendmail arguments will fix it (until msmtp loses mail
on you, but that's a separate problem).

-kevin