[rt-users] Migration Prep

Paul O'Rorke paul at tracker-software.com
Wed Jul 24 23:36:43 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've been putting off upgrading my RT 3.8.4 to current because I always
got stuck.  Now I can't put it off any more.  I have read lost about
upgrading but I don't want to upgrade the current server/installation, I
want to move it to a brand new server and OS.

 From what I've read it seems that the best approach might be to:

 1. make a clone of the existing RT,
 2. upgrade it to 4.0.13
 3. do a mysqldump on the upgraded clone
 4. restore the dump on the new server.

It's the details of step 4 I'm concerned about.  If I set up the
database on the new server and restore it from the dump do I then use
make upgrade on the new server?  I don't understand what the right
process would be to make sure the new server has mailgate, users etc and
can accept the dump.

Do I configure the whole new RT instance as though it were a new install
then try to migrate my data or should it be and 'upgrade' even though
it's new?

I apologise if this is a dumb question or if it's covered somewhere in
the docs - the whole task of upgrading from 3.8.4 has been overwhelming
and I've been avoiding it.

--

*Paul O'Rorke*
Tracker Software Products