[rt-users] Sending notification / alert mails without creating comments

Craig Ringer craig at 2ndquadrant.com
Mon Jul 29 22:56:40 EDT 2013

On 07/29/2013 08:51 PM, Jim Berry wrote:
> Craig,
>
> On the wiki there was a reference to an rt-remind script at
> http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/tdb/rt3/rt-remind, which we
> downloaded and modified for our purposes. We have several cron jobs
> which use it to nag/notify owners, requestors, and managers (hourly,
> daily, or weekly, depending on the situation).      Not optimal, but it
> has worked for us.

Thanks for the tip. That script doesn't fit my needs as I need
notifications on the order of minutes not hours, individual mails for
each ticket, and really want them triggered from rt-crontool via
TicketSQL searches. It's certainly interesting.

I haven't had the same issues with my SMS notifications because the code
for them _expects_ to have to collect its own recipient list, doesn't
care about the squashed recipient list, doesn't care about RT's custom
email headers, and knows how to deliver SMSes directly.

For email I'd rather avoid duplicating all the stuff RT already does in
these areas - correctly handling squashing, adding the RT specific
headers for loop control, ticket ID, appropriate Referer headers, etc.

I think I'm going to have to refactor RT::Action::SendEmail pretty
heavily. With luck the BestPractical team might accept a patch if I can
do it without breaking things that wrap it while still making it re-usable.