[rt-users] Adding Element to provide easy custom field searches

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Jun 25 12:34:29 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:02:38AM -0400, Chad Osmond wrote:
>    We have a non-technical group who need to search RT for custom fields, and putting
>    customfield1:55555 in the top search box is too much for them.
>
>    We'd like to add a new element on the At A Glance page to have something like:
>
>    CustomField1 [...............] [Search]
>
>    CustomField2 [...............] [Search]
>
>    The Search buttons would direct to a search where the custom field was = the input value.
>
>    I'm just not sure where to start adding a new element.

You can use a shorter word than customfield1:5555 if that helps (but
it may not).  The simple search code in 4.0 is quite extensible.

You start making a portlet for the homepage by copying something like
the share/html/Elements/QuickCreate mason component to
local/html/Elements/CustomSearch, hacking it to render the Custom
Fields you want and then making it available to users to put on their
homepages using the HomepageComponents configuration:
http://bestpractical.com/rt/docs/latest/RT_Config.html#HomepageComponents

-kevin