[rt-users] Problem with mail bounce

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri May 10 13:07:36 EDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 07:03 AM, Guadagnino Cristiano wrote:
> There definitely is something weird with the way the "reply-to" header
> is treated from RT.
>
> I did some more tests on a quite clean test system (RT 3.8.10) and I
> always get a "permission denied" error as soon as I add the reply-to header.
>
> By enabling debug logs I see RT thinks he is receiving the email message
> from the address in the "reply-to" header instead of the "from" header.
> That would also explain why I was getting the "RT Received mail ( ) from
> itself." message in my previous experiments.

This is a feature, not a bug.  Reply-To: is preferred over From: is
preferred over Sender: when determining the actor via email.  Among
other things, this is useful to create tickets on behalf of someone else
via email.  The original From: is still visible in the ticket history.

FWIW, we have code to let you include a message when forwarding, and I
hope that it makes it into 4.2.

> 1) we copy the text to forward in a new Outlook message
> 2) we set the sender as the private email address of who is sending
> 3) we mangle the subject so that it contains the magic RT token with the number of the original ticket
> 4) we add a special RT adress as BCC; this address is configured so that it triggers a comment action instead of a correspond action
> 5) set the Reply-To header with our normal RT address

Instead of doing the above, why don't you just keep it inside RT all along?

1) Copy text to forward into a new RT comment
2) Set the One-time Cc to the person receiving the forward
3) Uncheck all other recipients from the "Scrips and Recipients" box.
This should be easier if you enable the $SimplifiedRecipients option.

Then the "forward" will come from RT originally, only go to the one-time
cc, and be recorded on the ticket.  Any replies will end up as comments
on the ticket (assuming your queue comment address and /etc/aliases is
setup correctly).  Less steps, less needing to go outside RT only to
shove stuff back in.