[rt-users] REMOTE_USER, external auth, and email mismatching

Jeff Blaine jblaine at kickflop.net
Wed May 15 09:19:14 EDT 2013

On 5/15/2013 12:17 AM, Philip Brown wrote:
> Err.. thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for.
> For one thing, even if I got permission to do that (which I wont), we have 40,000 users in ldap.
> I dont actually WANT all of them in the rt database.
> particularly since we have a 15,000 user/year churn rate.

I'm never quite sure why people do that (*import* then-stale
data from LDAP/AD which is the dynamic source of truth for the
information on the network). There must be some use case that
I am just not aware of, but I definitely don't get it.

 > it's kinda odd that I cant seem to google any sample
 > RT_Config.pm files for this

Well, here's where I asked the community to share what works:

http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2012-February/075085.html

And here's 1 (of 2) contributions I got and submitted, still sitting
in a github pull request that has not been merged after 1+ years:

https://github.com/bestpractical/rt-authen-externalauth/pull/2

That was the "water testing" and end of my contributions to RT,
as a failed experiment. I didn't bother submitting the 2nd
config contribution I got based on the above.

Here's someone else's code contribution from 1+ years ago to
allow secure LDAP:

https://github.com/bestpractical/rt-authen-externalauth/pull/1

*crickets*

Contributing elsewhere.