[rt-users] Problems upgrading from 3.9.3

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu May 23 19:49:35 EDT 2013

On 17 May 2013, at 10:45, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM, saxmad <g.mason at fairfx.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm on Postgres 9.2 on Debian Wheezy.
>>
>> So is this a Postgres issue or an RT upgrade issue ?
>>

> Both. RT uses something that is deleted. Pg deleted something that is
> used
> by software.

More precisely, they removed something from a system catalog -- the
spclocation column in the description of tablespaces -- which was
statically set at tablespace creation time and could be invalidated
silently by an innocent & plausible admin oversight, and replaced the
functionality with something else -- the pg_tablespace_location()
function -- which provides the same information determined dynamically
at runtime. Note that the internal structure of Pg system catalogs is an
area where software developers and sysadmins should expect to find
change across major releases and this was a well-documented change with
public discussion before it was made and during the 9.2 beta period.

IOW: A documented change in Pg 9.2 fixed a design error that needed
fixing.

The OPERATIONALLY focused answer is simpler: You must update the Perl
module DBD::Pg to v2.19.3 to get compatibility with PostgreSQL 9.2 and
later.