[rt-users] Problem with multple new tickets on same subject

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Tue May 28 11:34:34 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:16:03AM -0400, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM, ktm at rice.edu <ktm at rice.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 05:14:59PM +0100, Mª Eugenia Moreno wrote:
> > > I am not sure if there is any solution to this. I have been digging
> > > everywhere for information but I couldn't find any solution.
> > >
> > > I am currently using RT 4 as the ticketing system in my company. Below is
> > > the scenario:
> > >
> > > Colleague A emails to the RT’s email and include Colleague B in the loop
> > as
> > > Cc.
> > >
> > > RT create new ticket (#1 New Test Ticket) and send auto reply email
> > > to Colleague A with Ticket ID.
> > >
> > > Colleague B ”reply all”  on the original email sent by Colleague A  thus
> > > creating another ticket on RT (#2 RE: New Test Ticket).
> > >
> > > Is there a way to recognize the subject text instead of the ticket ID to
> > > avoid the creation of a new ticket? The ideal situation would be to add B
> > > email to the same ticket of A email instead of creating a new ticket. At
> > > the moment I am doing manually, I go to RT interface and link ticket #2
> > > ticket #1.
> > >
> > > I would be very grateful if someone could help.
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot,
> > >
> > > Maria
> >
> > Hi Maria,
> >
> > You may want to take a look at this set of patches:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/rt-references/
> >
> > We use something very similar in-house.
> >

> Can you show what you did different ? I am looking into this code and
> planning to test it out.

Our old code only handles the In-Reply-To: header and does not look for
the References: header and uses a direct SQL query to look up the message
ids, yuck. The code at the link above uses the more standard API's. If you
only want to use the In-Reply-To: headers, just delete/comment out the
sections for References:.

Regards,
Ken