[rt-users] Problem with multple new tickets on same subject

Kenneth Crocker kenn.crocker at gmail.com
Tue May 28 12:20:05 EDT 2013

We had the same problem and opted to train our users to NOT use "Reply
All" and then we put that instruction in ALL our templates at the top.

Kenn

Sent from my Windows Phone From: ktm at rice.edu
Sent: 5/28/2013 8:34 AM
To: Asif Iqbal
Cc: rt-users Users
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Problem with multple new tickets on same subject
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:16:03AM -0400, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM, ktm at rice.edu <ktm at rice.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 05:14:59PM +0100, Mª Eugenia Moreno wrote:
> > > I am not sure if there is any solution to this. I have been digging
> > > everywhere for information but I couldn't find any solution.
> > >
> > > I am currently using RT 4 as the ticketing system in my company. Below is
> > > the scenario:
> > >
> > > Colleague A emails to the RT’s email and include Colleague B in the loop
> > as
> > > Cc.
> > >
> > > RT create new ticket (#1 New Test Ticket) and send auto reply email
> > > to Colleague A with Ticket ID.
> > >
> > > Colleague B ”reply all”  on the original email sent by Colleague A  thus
> > > creating another ticket on RT (#2 RE: New Test Ticket).
> > >
> > > Is there a way to recognize the subject text instead of the ticket ID to
> > > avoid the creation of a new ticket? The ideal situation would be to add B
> > > email to the same ticket of A email instead of creating a new ticket. At
> > > the moment I am doing manually, I go to RT interface and link ticket #2
> > > ticket #1.
> > >
> > > I would be very grateful if someone could help.
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot,
> > >
> > > Maria
> >
> > Hi Maria,
> >
> > You may want to take a look at this set of patches:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/rt-references/
> >
> > We use something very similar in-house.
> >

> Can you show what you did different ? I am looking into this code and
> planning to test it out.

Our old code only handles the In-Reply-To: header and does not look for
the References: header and uses a direct SQL query to look up the message
ids, yuck. The code at the link above uses the more standard API's. If you
only want to use the In-Reply-To: headers, just delete/comment out the
sections for References:.

Regards,
Ken

--