[rt-users] MSMTP works for sending, but receiving is now broken - And why a full MTA?

Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) SJC at qvii.com
Tue May 28 14:13:29 EDT 2013

This is for Asif AND Thomas in regards to my previous email about MSMTP.

First, I did manage to get MSMTP working to send email out. While
outgoing mail worked, incoming via fetchmail suddenly stopped
complaining it couldn't bind to 127.0.0.1 port 25:

name 0: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed: Connection
refused.

Now, to get to the question Thomas posed to me as well as for
clarification:

We're looking to deploy a second RT instance for our Service Department
(our IT Dept system might get rebuilt as I have yet to get an answer
from the distro list as to why my file attachments can now no longer be
over 1MB after a database mangling). This ticket desk needs to
communicate to clients our on the Internet. The thinking was to just
have a simple SMTP agent to send the mail out & have fetchmail poll the
server for incoming versus running a full-on mail server.

We run an Exchange server that relays out to a Postfix server, then to
the Internet.

Why is it Postfix is needed? Why can't I have lighter weight agents do
the work instead? The problem I had with Postfix is for some reason on
my new RT system the moment I add the smtpd_recipient_restrictions and
put anything down there to restrict, Postfix stops working completely. I
want to control what email addresses leave the system.

Stephen Cena
QVII
MIS/IT Dept
850 Hudson Ave.
Rochester, NY. 14620
585-544-0450 x300
sjc at qvii.com
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."
--For email related issues, please contact postmaster at qvii.com