[rt-users] Customer web access - two servers, one database?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Oct 7 10:59:21 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 01:58:23PM +0000, Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) wrote:
>    We've been running RT now for our Service Dept for  a few months now with incredible success.
>    At the present time, we have out customers email a specific email address & those emails get
>    converted into tickets. We are now looking to improve functionality/speed for the customer. I
>    see two options:
>
>    1. Convert the general email being used into a Queue (say "Incoming") and then the employees
>    simply assign the tickets as needed.
>    2. Install the stripped down Public Bug Tracker
>    ([1]http://search.cpan.org/dist/RT-BugTracker-Public/lib/RT/BugTracker/Public.pm) or something
>    similar, to facilitate customers logging into the system.
>
>    In regards to #2, if I were to go that route, is it safe to set up a second "public" RT server
>    that ties into the same database? Or should I just have a single server set up for both to
>    access in whatever manner I see fit?
>
>    Right now, the fastest simplest option I see is #1. I just need to get the Spam tracking
>    turned on.

For #2, I suspect you want to use RT's built-in SelfService interface
which is available to Unprivileged users.

You can safely run two webservers running the same RT code against the
same database (plenty of people do it for scaling and load balancing)
just be sure that sessions are in the database.

-kevin