[rt-users] I need help with the RT-Authen-ExternalAuth LDAP settings, please

Mathew Snyder mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 16:19:15 EDT 2013

These are the settings I've started with:

Set($ExternalSettings, {
    'AD'       =>  {
        'type'                      =>  'ldap',
        'server'                    =>  'domain_controller.example.com',
        'base'                      =>  'dc=example,dc=com',
        'user'                      =>  'rtuser',
        'pass'                      =>  '********',
        'filter'                    =>  '(ObjectClass=*)',
        'tls'                       =>  0,
        'ssl_version'               =>  3,
        'net_ldap_args'             => [    version =>  3   ],
        'attr_match_list' => [
            'EmailAddress',
        ],
        'attr_map' => {
            'Name' => 'sAMAccountName',
            'EmailAddress' => 'mail',
            'RealName' => 'cn',
        },

They aren't working. Whenever someone attempts an initial login with just
their username (which should create their RT account) the following error
is logged:
Oct 17 15:02:29 zen-rt RT: [23131] Use of uninitialized value in string eq
at
/opt/rt4/local/plugins/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth/lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm
line 613.
Oct 17 15:02:29 zen-rt RT: [23131]
RT::Authen::ExternalAuth::CanonicalizeUserInfo returning Disabled: ,
EmailAddress: , Gecos: user, Name: user, Privileged:
Oct 17 16:14:01 zen-rt RT: [24382] Couldn't create user user: Could not set
user info
Oct 17 16:14:01 zen-rt RT: [24382] FAILED LOGIN for user from
192.168.236.102

When initial logins are attempted with either example\username or
example.com\username only the FAILED LOGIN line is displayed.

We also have our Openfire Jabber server authenticating successfully. Those
settings are
ldap.autoFollowAliasReferrals = true
ldap.autoFollowReferrals = false
ldap.baseDN = dc=example,dc=com
ldap.connectionPoolEnabled = true
ldap.debugEnabled = false
ldap.emailField = mail
ldap.encloseDNs = true
ldap.groupDescriptionField = description
ldap.groupMemberField = member
ldap.groupNameField = cn
ldap.groupSearchFilter = (objectClass=group)
ldap.host = domain_controller.example.com
ldap.ldapDebugEnabled = false
ldap.nameField = cn
ldap.port = 389
ldap.searchFilter = (objectClass=*)
ldap.usernameField = sAMAccountName

I know they don't match up exactly in terms of what Openfire calls the
settings vs. what RT does, but I'm hoping someone can help me sort out what
should be plugged in where on the RT side. For example, I don't know what
the group_attr or group_attr_value setting should contain (if anything) in
the RT_SiteConfig.pm file. Basically, anything from the "group" settings.

-Mathew

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at
all." - God; Futurama

"We'll get along much better once you accept that you're wrong and neither
am I." - Me