[rt-users] Large attachments via auto-link

Ram ram0502 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 13:52:09 EDT 2013

Hey folks,

I'm finding that about once a month or so our support team receives or
sends an attachment that is well beyond reasonable size (I saw a 60MB
today). While our RT and mysql configs are happy with it obviously the rest
of the world's email servers are not (as a data point google caps at a
generous 25MB - my mailservers cap at 101MB).

It would be nice if we could have RT decide that beyond a certain size an
attachment will be substituted by a download link (dropbox, yousendit,
gdrive, rt self service portal, ...). I've given it a spot of thought and
it seems that it may be a bit of a can of worms in terms of the surrounding
features that are needed: what service and it's configs, for what message
types [comment or correspond or both], for what users [unprivileged |
privileged; internal | external; size config for internal | external, ...].

A quick search of rt-users and rt-devel did not yield any results. I'm
wondering if this has been discussed before or of anyone has given it some
thought.

thanks
ram