[rt-users] Custom Field base on another Custom Field

tcamish tom.camish at ems.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 08:04:50 EDT 2014

Afternoon All,

I know this isnt a question as such but I just came across a weird thing in
RT3 with Custom Fields and then managed to solve it myself, so thought i'd
post it on here in case anyone else gets the same problem.

Example (fake entries): A custom field called "Top Level" and one called
"Category".

*Top Level options:*
Active Directory
Printers
Hardware

*Category options*
Password reset
Wont Print
Installation
New User
Needs Drivers
Profile Issue
New Server
Permissions

I then set the "categories are based on" option in the Category custom field
to the "Top Level" custom field and set the category column, so the custom
field page looked like below:

<http://requesttracker.8502.n7.nabble.com/file/n57218/Fileds.png>

Then if, for example, I chose "Active Directory" from the Top Level field,
the Category would show like below when i go to select it:

*Active Directory*
     Password Reset
*Active Directory*
     New User
*Active Directory*
     Profile Issue
*Active Directory*
     Permissions

Obviously very irritating.

The way i got round this was to go into the config of the Category custom
field, and the categories that come under Active Directory i set the Sort
Order column to 1, for those under Printers i set to 2, and those under
Hardware i set to 3. This made the custom field display as below:

*Active Directory*
     Password Reset
     New User
     Profile Issue
     Permissions

So, when creating a custom field and basing it on another one, unless you
want it to display in a really stupid way, setting the options under each
category to the same sort order fixes it.

Hope this helps.