[rt-users] Upgrade / Migration Help from version 3.8.1 to 4.2.3

Lists lists at lolling.org
Sat Apr 19 01:58:23 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am new to the RT lists as well as new to the administration of the RT
product.  My company has used RT for many years but was maintained by
another admin.

I have been asked to upgrade our RT system from version 3.8.1 running on
CentOS 5.9 to version 4.2.3 running on CentOS 6.5.  Since I am
installing a new OS on new hardware, I will be installing Apache, Perl,
mySQL, etc from the CentOS 6.5 rpm repositories.

Being completely new to the administration of RT, I was not sure which
path was most practical (or possible).

1.  Build new server with new OS and newer version of Perl, Apache,
mySQL and latest version of RT and then try to migrate or copy over our
customizations and databases.

-or-

2.  Build new server, OS, Perl, Apache, mySQL but copy over our current
version (3.8.1) of RT, get it to work on the new server and then perform
upgrades?

I wasn't sure if one path was more reliable, practical, etc.

I am currently in the process of doing a new install just so I can
become familiar with everything before I pick a path.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-David