[rt-users] RT-Mailgate timeout error after upgrade to 4.2.6

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Aug 4 11:14:33 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 09:03:16PM +0000, Richards, Matthew E ERDC-RDE-CERL-IL wrote:
> I increased the timeout from 180 to 750 added extra debugging to the code to
> get more information.  I replaced our URL with localhost for security:

Are you actually listening with SSL on localhost?  Is your webserver
configured to listen and allow that through to RT?

> see an entry in the access.log.  Fiddler gives us the same error (504 - Gateway
> Timeout Error).  If I execute consecutive posts very quickly in Fiddler, after
> about seven 504 errors, I finally get a string of 200 (success) responses and
> some entries in the rt.log file to indicate it couldn’t find a valid user
> (because I didn’t supply one).  If I let it set for a minute, I get the 504
> errors again.

Is fiddler running on the machine connecting to localhost or somewhere
else?  It's a much more relevant test to use something like curl to
connect to localhost with the same arguments as rt-mailgate.

rt-mailgate isn't doing anything complicated, and if RT isn't logging
anything in debug mode, then normally this means your webserver is
bound only to the external hostname.

-kevin