[rt-users] rt4-fcgi processes are dying after some debian package updates

saxmad g.mason at fairfx.com
Tue Aug 5 09:13:16 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm running the following:
Debian Wheezy RT 4.0.7 nginx fcgi

Up until the end of last week, RT had been very stable when running with
three rt4-fcgi backends.  I would find that about every 3-4 months I would
have to restart RT as the fcgi processes had died and I was getting "502 bad
gateway" error messages.

I then did some Debian package updates and since then, the fcgi processes
have been dying within an our or so, with users getting the 502 Bad gateway
error message.  I am now running with 10 fcgi processes which is giving me a
little breathing space as they seem to last for up to an hour before all
dying and needing RT to be restarted, but that isn't always the case -
sometimes it can be 20 minutes or 90 minutes.

It's pretty obvious that one or more of the package updates I did last week
has upset RT but I can't see anything in any log to indicate why the fcgi
processes are dying like they are.  I have the RT log set to debug level and
even that holds no clues, neither does syslog or the nginx log.

The packages I updated are as follows:
libcups2 libcupsimage2 libdatetime-timezone-perl libdbi-perl
libdevmapper1.02.1 libjpeg8 liblcms2-2 libperl-dev libperl5.14 perl
perl-base perl-modules openssh-client openssh-server snmpd tzdata librsvg2-2
libsnmp-base libsnmp15 libapr1 initscripts sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils
base-files postgresql-9.2 postgresql-client-9.2 postgresql-client-common
postgresql-common libpq-dev libpq5

I'm guessing one or more of the perl related packages is to blame, but
without any kind of log content to give me any clues, I'm at a loss to
understand what to try and fix.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do to firstly get some useful
log feedback regarding the dying fcgi processes, and secondly what I could
do to resolve this.

Thanks,
Gary