[rt-users] RT 4.2.x + Ubuntu 14.04: package backport? native install? etc

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Aug 6 12:52:00 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 03:42:45PM -0500, hydrostarr wrote:
> Thanks Kevin.  I built + installed RT 4.2.6 from source on Ubuntu 14.04 and,
> in short:  it basically just worked.  No reliance on Ubuntu
> 'request-tracker' package.  Good show.  I've never experienced a perl-based
> system to be installed so easily, but maybe I've been jaded from installing
> things like Bugzilla and others many (many) moons ago.  Further, you provide
> an Apache-independent web server, for (at least) sanity-check testing.

I'm glad it went smoothly.  The perl webserver can probably serve
small sites fine (as long as you don't want SSL).  It's primary use is
development and the test suite.

I did notice one problem

>         run("./configure --with-db-type=SQLite")

SQLite is not a production database, there really isn't a tested way
to move to Postgres or MySQL or Oracle once you decide to go live.  I
suggest picking a real database to start.

Search for SQLite here for more.
http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/latest/README.html

-kevin