[rt-users] 'content matches' and 'content doesn't match' give same results

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon Aug 11 13:45:43 EDT 2014

On 08/10/2014 07:53 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> [ "I ran  a search with StatementLogging enabled and this ]
> [ is the sql statement with "content not like 'foo.com'"  ]
> [ and "content like 'foo.com'", they are the same."       ]
> [ --Thanks for that, Joop! ]
>
> Alex, to be clear, these queries below were done via the search
> form. I am only quoting the SearchBuilder terms for simplicity.
>
> The form stated:
>
>     [ Content ] [ matches ] __foo.com_______
>
> And
>
>     [ Content ] [ doesn't match ] __foo.com_______
>
> and I clicked search to get the same 3 tickets as results for both.
>
> I can't see how, in some way or another, this is not a bug.

"Content doesn't match" indeed uses the same codepath as "content does
match."  The problem is that not all of the FTS backends support "NOT
MATCH" -- and for those that do, it likely doesn't do what you expect.
I can guarantee that for any particular phrase, there exists one
transaction on the ticket which does not contain that phrase -- thus
always matching all tickets.

Can you explain your use case a bit?  I expect that you meant it as
"exclude tickets which do contain"?

I expect we should, at least in the short term, document that "CONTENT
NOT LIKE" is not supported, and make it return the empty set.
 - Alex