[rt-users] unordered mismash of upgrade instructions

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Thu Dec 4 17:08:11 EST 2014

On 11/26/2014 05:32 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> I’m doing an upgrade from 3.8.5 to 4.2. It seems to be going well. I’m
> liking the changes. Glad to see RTFM integrated. My one big question
> here that I think the documentation could definitely improve upon, is
> what order to do the changes in?  There are changes in every one of
> these pages and there’s no clear outline for which ones go first.
>
> https://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/README.html

Step (2) and (6b) of this address the other files.  The top of
UPGRADING.mysql even tells you to start there.  A bug in the POD -> html
(now fixed) causes it to not show up in the website, but it's in the
shipped docs/UPGRADING.mysql in the source tarball.

> I’m thinking that perhaps step 8 should have been done before 6 and 7,
> but it seems to have worked and it displays the tickets and seems to
> operate properly.

We recommend doing the 'make upgrade-database' steps before running the
various cleanups in docs/UPGRADING-*

Patches accepted of updates that you think would clarify the issue.

 - Alex