[rt-users] plugins link to module file, not package file

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Thu Dec 11 14:26:15 EST 2014

On 12/11/2014 01:14 PM, Milt Epstein wrote:
> Thought I'd chime in here. [...]

And I'm going to step in before this gets any further out of hand.  The
amount of high dudgeon in this thread is not acceptable.  If it
continues, I _will_ turn on list moderation.  Don't make me turn this
car around, etc, etc.

One concept to bear in mind is that replies to the mailing list are not
merely addressed to the author of the previous post, but for the
entirety of the mailing list, as well as any who come across it in
searches later.  If one finds a post overbearingly patronizing, remember
that others who are less well-educated may yet find it useful.

Milt: To clarify, Alex Peters, like the vast majority of the folks on
this list, is a volunteer.  Only those who post from @bestpractical.com
addresses are Best Practical employees.

Moving to the topic at hand: the links we provide are to the
documentation of the module, not to the distribution page.  This is
intentional, soas to provide the user with a longer description of the
extension first, to let them make a more informed decision as to whether
the extension suits their needs.

I'd be open to switching existing links from
http://bestpractical.com/rt/extensions.html to point to the metacpan
pages, rather than the search.cpan.org ones -- I, personally, have come
to much prefer metacpan's UI.  I'm unclear if that would address Jo's
original confusion, however.

We do not currently have a documentation page explaining how to download
and install extensions.  We quite probably should; patches accepted,
bearing in mind that the exact installation steps vary from extension to
extension.

We generally do _no_ recommend using the cpan or cpanm command-line
client to install RT extensions.  Not only does this not suffice for RT
installs that do not live in /opt/rt4, but -- more importantly -- it
skips any database initialization steps that may be documented.  Our
suggested installation path is always to download the .tar.gz from CPAN,
unpack it, and follow its README.

 - Alex