[rt-users] Getting bounced e-mails to come back to RT

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Feb 18 10:45:28 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 03:15:46PM +0000, Tony Arnold wrote:
> My current config has $SetOutgoingMailFrom to 1, but bounced messages
> are returned to the user ID that the web server runs under, and not back
> to an RT managed address.
>
> The doc says setting the above to 1 causes bounced mail to be returned
> to the correspond address for the queue. On the config page for my main
> queue, this is shown blank with a comment underneath showing what it
> defaults to, but bounced mails are not coming back to that.
>
> Any ideas? What do I need to do to get bounced mail to be returned to RT?
>
> P.S., Using RT 3.8.14 with RTIR 2.6.1.

Your version of RT had a number of issues with the original
implementation of SetOutgoingMailFrom.

It relied on Queues having a CorrespondAddress set (it wouldn't fall
back to the global $CorrespondAddress set in your config).
This wasn't fixed until later in 4.0
https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/79a039f9d2a9006d5a61e9732224a41e27ba06de

It also would cause problems with sendmail(tm) and postfix when
sending real bounces (more explanation here).
https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/e707f34ee7d9577a214590ee31f4b1ac3920112d

I suggest you think about applying the second of these patches and for
setting the address, set up
Set($OverrideOutgoingMailFrom,

so that it at least has the default set since the code should fall
back to that.

These configurations are considerably better in late 4.0 and 4.2.

-kevin