[rt-users] Searching For Tickets Without Reminders

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Jan 6 11:56:20 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 01:33:03PM -0800, Ram wrote:
>    We have a class of requests that require us to take an action which may take a few weeks; in
>    these cases the support folks set a reminder for e.g. 3 weeks. We don't to close these tickets
>    b/c they are still being serviced and should show up in the various reports that check for
>    ticket status. OTOH these aren't stagnant tickets in the sense that they are correctly on hold
>    for a few weeks.
>    One of the users asked if we can modify the 'my stagnant tickets' search to omit tickets that
>    have an open reminder set. This seems like a reasonable approach. Anyone know how to do this
>    using RT Ticket Searches?

While you can search for tickets with Links (or tickets linked to a
specific ticket) using syntax such as DependedOnBy = 12345 or
DependedOnBy IS [NOT] NULL, you cannot search on attributes of the
object on the far side of the link (You want to be able to write
ReferredToBy.Type = 'reminder' to find tickets with a refers to link
to tickets with type reminder).

If you never use links other than Reminders, you could just hide
tickets which have a ReferredToBy.  Alternately, you could stick
tickets into another status instead of using reminders (or in addition
to using reminders) and exclude that status.

I often will put a ticket into 'pending' with a due date, which makes
it trivial to search for and avoids dealing with Reminders.

-kevin