[rt-users] Apache Threads hanging & not gracefully exiting

Nathan Baker bakern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 15:13:31 EST 2014

I switched from mod_perl to mod_fcgid and along with the memory usage
decreasing by about 75%, the problem seems to have disappeared.  I'm not
sure if there is a problem with the code and mod_fcgid is just handling it
better, or what the deal is, but everything is working fine now.

Judging by the user reviews of mod_perl (
http://cpanratings.perl.org/dist/mod_perl) it seems like mod_perl should be
the less preferred option, and mod_fastcgi or mod_fcgid should be used if
possible.  Is this the general consensus?  If so, it might be helpful to
add that recommendation on
http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/latest/web_deployment.html.

Thanks for your suggestions though Kevin, if I do see any further issues
I'll try using strace.

For anyone else that comes across this, here are some apache mod_perl
documents about debugging mod_perl applications, using strace and other
methods:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/debug.html
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html

-Nate