[rt-users] newbie RT/AD setup and priv questions

Karres, Dean karres at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 8 14:20:52 EDT 2014

RT 4.2.3
RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.5

Hi

I have installed RT as a test in hopes of eventually replacing our home-built ticketing system soon-ish.  I have RT installed and have a basic configuration that allows anyone in our AD to login.  For the moment there is an RT "root" user and my AD account.  I have looked in the wiki and the mailing list archive and see a lot about AD issues but not his... or I don't know enough to know what I am looking for yet.

If I login as the rt-root user and go to Admin > Users there is a list of "Privileged users".  This list only shows the rt-root user.  If I then search for my AD account I can see my account and that under "Access control" the box for "Let this user be granted rights (Privileged)" is checked.  Shouldn't this/my account show up in the Admin > Users: "Privileged users" list?

I have seen some threads that talk about an auto create config option.  Is the situation that plain AD users are not "real" RT user accounts by default?

Our situation is that of an IT HelpDesk for a large facility.  Hundreds of plain AD users should be able to submit tickets and do unprivileged RT actions.  A much smaller group of folks, the HelpDesk folks, need to be able to do the real RT work: assign tickets, move them into queues, etc.

I have another unrelated newbie setup question as well.  I work for a large facility and again my main focus is replacing an ancient ticket system in my group.  I can easily imagine that over time other departments/groups in the facility may want their own RT services.  Are there docs that can tell me what to do now to prepare for multi-department use?  Should each unit have their own install & config?  Can one instance service multiple units with undoubtedly unique needs?

Thanks
Dean