[rt-users] RT::Authen::ExternalAuth + mod_ssl = core dump

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Thu Mar 27 17:53:01 EDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-27 at 16:42 -0500, Dewhirst, Rob wrote:
> RT 4.0.19 (because of RTIR)
> mod_perl

Interesting; we've seen another report of this previously, but I've been
unable to replicate it.  It's presumably caused by a disagreement of
mod_ssl with the SSL libraries that perl uses for LDAPS support -- and
since mod_perl is in use, those two exist in the same process, and their
disagreements lead to coredumps.  We addressed a similar problem with
mod_ssl and TLS connections to Postgres early in the 4.0 series.

The simple work-around is to switch from mod_perl to one of the fastcgi
deployment strategies, which separates the mod_ssl OpenSSL stack from
perl's LDAPS OpenSSL stack, allowing them to play well together.

However, I'd love to have a simple replication strategy to help track
this down and fix it.  How stock an RT install is this?  I presume
you're running with the standard Apache and mod_perl installs from RPMs?
Can you provide your RT::Authen::ExternalAuth configuration?
 - Alex