[rt-users] Upgrade History shows Upgrade Incomplete

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 23 06:13:48 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 04:33:01PM -0400, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 04:23:15PM -0400, Nathan Baker wrote:
> >    On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Kevin Falcone <[1]falcone at bestpractical.com> wrote:
> >
> >      On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:33:20AM -0400, Nathan Baker wrote:
> >      > Hello everyone,
> >      >
> >      > I just upgraded from 4.0.6 to 4.2.3 using the Debian packages. ? During the
> >      > database upgrade, I received a few errors:
> >
> >      I'm guessing you set up a new machine, installed request-tracker4 from
> >      testing, restored your database and then did the upgrade?
> >
> >    Actually this is on a system that was running 4.0.6 previously. ? I just did apt-get install
> >    request-tracker4 (using the testing repository) and it upgraded all the packages.?
>
> I find that surprising, since you had a 4.2 only table.
>
> >      You have an unclean database with 4.2 tables in it, and you're
> >      tripping over some of the code we added to help RT handle that more
> >      gracefully.
> >
> >    What I'm wondering is how I can tell if the database is "unclean" or if it's okay. ? The
> >    "upgrade history" section in System Configuration shows that it did "Upgrade from 4.0.19 to
> >    4.2.3" once without errors, and then it did it again and it says "(Incomplete)". ? Maybe that
> >    doesn't actually mean it tried twice though, I'm not sure.
>
> oh.
> You cannot safely upgrade RT like that.
>
> Restore from a backup and upgrade cleanly.
>
> I wouldn't trust a database that had run the upgrades twice.

Ah, I had always assumed that updates were idempotent. Sounds like
we need to adjust the error handling in the Debian package then.
(What I think happened in Nathan's case was that the upgrade itself
went okay but something else went wrong in the package postinst).

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Section
IT Services, University of Oxford, 13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN