[rt-users] Dealing with old CustomFields after upgrade from 3.6.10 to 4.2.4

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed May 28 13:45:55 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 04:31:59PM -0400, LABANJ2 at nationwide.com wrote:
>    When I go to logs, I will see lots of stack traces, like
>    [5416] [Tue May 27 19:52:36 2014] [error]: could not find component for path
>    'EditCustomFieldNWIE_UID_Callup_Lookup'
>    How should I approach the problem? Just brutal copy of old stuff from  RT-3.6.19.../local/ did
>    not work and asked me to download mod_perl and the likes (I work under FCGI under IHS 8.0).
>
>    Any good write-ups on the approach of upgrading the custom fields, custom templates,

To be clear, this is not "upgrading the custom fields".  Your custom
fields will upgrade just fine from 3.6 to 4.2, but someone added a
bunch of custom Custom Field Types to your 3.6 install.  You will need
to audit their code in local/ on 3.6 and find the relevant components
and ensure they generate valid code when in 4.2.

As a start, you have a custom field whose type is
NWIE_UID_Callup_Lookup and there will be a file on disk in /local/
called EditCustomFieldNWIE_UID_Callup_Lookup or there will be a
callback which knows how to map the custom Type to the correct custom
file on disk.

None of this has to do with a standard RT upgrade, this is trying
to figure out what someone was doing X years ago.  Hopefully they
wrote some docs for you, or at least used local/ and didn't sprinkle
their changes directly in the source tree.

-kevin