[rt-users] Ticket replies not going to another queue

Guadagnino Cristiano guadagnino.cristiano at creval.it
Fri May 30 08:56:17 EDT 2014

Hi all,
RT usage is taking off lately here: we started with one division using
it, and now there are four divisions using it and a fifth coming soon.

We have been using just one RT instance, using groups and ACLs to
separate the queues of one division from the others.
Every division has its own email address that forwards to RT, and
everything has been working very well till now.

However, we have had a little nuisance that is slowly becoming bigger
due to the increased number of users and requestors.

The problem arises when one requestor (requestors often are completely
unaware of the fact we are using RT internally) send a ticket to a
division, and that division replies that the request should be made to
another division. At this point, the requestor often takes the reply and
forwards it to the other division, leaving it intact.
Now, if the other division is using RT, the mail message from the
requestor is again turned into a ticket and - due to the fact that it
already contains a ticket number - it is appended to the old ticket
thread instead of creating a new ticket in the other division's queues.

Is anybody having this issue? How did you solve it?

Ideally I think RT should append to the original ticket only if the
receiving address is the same as the original ticket. Or at least, this
is how it could work in our environment. Anybody foreseeing possible
problems with this approach?

Thank you in advance.
Bye
Cris