[rt-users] Ticket replies not going to another queue

Guadagnino Cristiano guadagnino.cristiano at creval.it
Fri May 30 09:13:27 EDT 2014

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:56:17PM +0000, Guadagnino Cristiano wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> RT usage is taking off lately here: we started with one division using
>> it, and now there are four divisions using it and a fifth coming soon.
>>
>> We have been using just one RT instance, using groups and ACLs to
>> separate the queues of one division from the others.
>> Every division has its own email address that forwards to RT, and
>> everything has been working very well till now.
>>
>> However, we have had a little nuisance that is slowly becoming bigger
>> due to the increased number of users and requestors.
>>
>> The problem arises when one requestor (requestors often are completely
>> unaware of the fact we are using RT internally) send a ticket to a
>> division, and that division replies that the request should be made to
>> another division. At this point, the requestor often takes the reply and
>> forwards it to the other division, leaving it intact.
>> Now, if the other division is using RT, the mail message from the
>> requestor is again turned into a ticket and - due to the fact that it
>> already contains a ticket number - it is appended to the old ticket
>> thread instead of creating a new ticket in the other division's queues.
>>
>> Is anybody having this issue? How did you solve it?
>>
>> Ideally I think RT should append to the original ticket only if the
>> receiving address is the same as the original ticket. Or at least, this
>> is how it could work in our environment. Anybody foreseeing possible
>> problems with this approach?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Bye
>> Cris
>
> Hi Cris,
>
> We a more general Helpdesk as one of the areas using RT and they have
> the rights to put a ticket in any of the other areas' submission queues.
> Then if something is mis-routed, we just drop it in the Helpdesk submission
> queue for re-routing.
>
> Regards,
> Ken

Ken, thank you for your reply.
This is what we do if it is immediately apparent to us that the request
should be routed to another division.

Probably my example was a bit too simplistic, however the fact is that
sometimes the requestor feels the urge to reissue a rejected request to
a different division.

In that case we're out of luck, as we see the ticket re-opening the old
thread, instead of opening a new ticket in another queue.

Any other suggestions?

Bye
Cris