[rt-users] Ticket replies not going to another queue

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri May 30 10:45:19 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:56:17PM +0000, Guadagnino Cristiano wrote:
> The problem arises when one requestor (requestors often are completely
> unaware of the fact we are using RT internally) send a ticket to a
> division, and that division replies that the request should be made to
> another division. At this point, the requestor often takes the reply and
> forwards it to the other division, leaving it intact.
> Now, if the other division is using RT, the mail message from the
> requestor is again turned into a ticket and - due to the fact that it
> already contains a ticket number - it is appended to the old ticket
> thread instead of creating a new ticket in the other division's queues.
>
> Is anybody having this issue? How did you solve it?

While we understand this use case (and in fact have developed code for
users who needed to be able to email other RT queues from inside RT):

> Ideally I think RT should append to the original ticket only if the
> receiving address is the same as the original ticket. Or at least, this
> is how it could work in our environment. Anybody foreseeing possible
> problems with this approach?

This workflow will never become the default RT workflow.  Too many
people (including us) rely on email finding their way to an RT ticket
regardless of whether they've moved to a separate escalation queue or
just to the 'correct' queue.

Also consider the many many people who have 5+ email addresses all
feed into one queue.

Assuming usage of a modern RT, the following extension forces creation
of new tickets when a reply comes in to a resolved ticket.  You could
either use it as is, or modify it to check To: (and Cc:) vs Queue's
correspond address and then trigger the new ticket creation.

https://metacpan.org/release/RT-Extension-RepliesToResolved

-kevin