[rt-users] [EXTERNAL] rt::extension::import::csv docs

Mervini, Joseph A jamervi at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 16 12:11:32 EDT 2014

I just went through this same exercise and posed the same question to the list with a similar response. But  I was able to get it working through trial and error and my intent is to create a full blown how-to that may or may not get included in the distribution.

In the meantime as a simple example, here are the things that you will need to do:

1. If you are using custom fields for your assets, create and enable them via the web interface.

2. Create your csv file. Here is a simple example of what I am using:

Name,Description,Status,Type,Model,Serial Number,IP Address,Location,Rack Number
myMachine1,Controller,in-use,Dell Server,R720,abc123,192.168.1.1,Building 1,1
myMachine2,Controller,in-use,Dell Server,R720,def456,192.168.1.2,Building 1,1
myMachine3,Controller,in-use,Dell Server,R720,ghi789,192.168.1.3,Building 1,1

3. Create a custom config file. (This is what I did as opposed to adding it to the RT_SiteConfig.pm file)

Set( $AssetsImportUniqueCF, undef );
Set( %AssetsImportFieldMapping,
'id' => 'Name',
'Name'  => 'Name',
'Catalog'  => \'Storage Assets',
'Description'  => 'Description',
'Status'  => 'Status',
'CF.Type'  => 'Type',
'CF.Model'  => 'Model',
'CF.Serial Number'  => 'Serial Number',
'CF.IP Address'  => 'IP Address',
'CF.Location'  => 'Location',
'CF.Rack Number'  => 'Rack Number'

4. Running the script to populate the database:

/opt/rt4/local/plugins/RT-Extension-Assets-Import-CSV/bin/rt-assets-import-csv --update ./test1.csv  --debug --config config.test1

I added all the switches to see what's happening. I would suggest that you create a test RT instance to play with to get comfortable with the process.

Hope this helps.

====

Joe Mervini
Sandia National Laboratories