[rt-users] Pg FTS query works, RT search returns 0 results ( was: '.' as delimiter/boundary breaks domain name searches)

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Aug 31 23:09:25 EDT 2015

On 31 Aug 2015, at 9:39, Jeff Blaine wrote:

> I'm reviving this one time in case anyone has further ideas.
>
> * PostgreSQL 8.4.20 (RHEL 6.6) with FTS does the right
> thing when parsing an email address[1]

I question that.

I know that with Pg 9.0 the FTS indexer does arguably "right" things in
parsing email addresses, hostnames, and IP addresses BUT that behavior
effectively hides the octets inside an IP, the host and domain name
elements in a hostname, and the local and domain parts of an email
address. For our business (customized hosting & related services) this
made the indexing do more harm than good. We have adequate capacity (and
suitable config) on our DB server to handle most of the searches we need
to do in reasonable time without the indexing, so we disabled it.