[rt-users] RT Installation

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Jan 27 15:31:26 EST 2015

> Am 27.01.2015 um 21:05 schrieb Hábner Teixeira Costa <habner at outlook.com>:
>
> Why RT and RTIR are so hard to install and work properlly? I dont know perl

Here’s your problem ;-)
Most people probably stopped reading right there.

Seriously, though:
when I first installed it, I didn’t know that much Perl but I could make it work (RT2.something).

Your problem is most likely that you try to use your distribution’s Perl and have RT’s dependency-fixer install additional modules on top of it via CPAN.
That has never been a good idea.

These days, FreeBSD has all the required modules pre-packaged, as do (I think) Debian and Ubuntu.

But I would be tempted to use a „clean“ Perl installed somewhere else as the basis for RT even in the case of FreeBSD (which I know best, admittedly).

How difficult would it be for BestPractical to tar up such a custom perl install done in e.g. /opt/rt/perl, together with all the dependencies and throw in a „complete“ install of RT+RTIR with FastCGI-support?
While historically, the mod_perl installation is the most common one, the FastCGI installation can work with nginx, which faster and also decouples the web server from the installed version of Perl (I don’t know if you can have and RT-installation and mod_perl compiled against different versions of perl for example).

You just needed one such archive for the current version of Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS/RedHat and maybe SuSE.

OK, so it would probably come with MySQL/MariaDB per default. But for those with a different setup in mind, the source is still available…

In the DevOps world, this is what chef is doing to get a software with a lot of 3rd-party dependencies running smoothly and consistently on many platforms.