[rt-users] RT Installation

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 28 07:57:38 EST 2015

Didn't make it to the ML due to being posted from a unknown account,
trying again.

Joop

On 28-1-2015 8:56, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 09:31:26PM +0100, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>>     Why RT and RTIR are so hard to install and work properlly? I dont know
>>     perl
>> Here’s your problem ;-)
>> Most people probably stopped reading right there.

I never had heard of perl when I installed my first RT (2.07) but
reading a bit on the topic and being familiar with make/gcc and I
managed to get it up and running.

> seriously? assuming that the sysop is comming with a basic admin skill
> (knowing what "make" do and how to setup an nginx to communicate with
> fcgi), perl programs are quiet easy to install when someone pointed you
> on the good ressources:
>
> https://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/
Things are much better then in the 2.x days :-)

> The problem is not to have a running RT but frankly, i have very hard
> time to figure out how to set it up correctly. the missing documentation
> is something that explain the general philosophy of RT for
> administrators and some step by step tutorials (for example: installing
> a notification or a basic ticket routing).
I think lots of people use it in a one queueu one purpose way. I do for
example. We move tickets manually to other queues when needed and have
little extra custom logic added to our install.

> I guess that's what we learn from the best practical trainings but
> comming from a french university, london wasn't that affordable.
What I remember of my training way back when 3.0 was out and 3.2 was
coming is that on day one we got a general tour of RT and on day two
there was a deep dive into things like scrips and internal workings of
RT but not so much about how to setup complex routing.

Maybe someone on the list who has complex ticket routing is willing to
explain how to do that, in general terms or with specific code, anyone??

Regards,

Joop